2. Jean Baptiste Raientonni CANADIEN (Big John) & Malvina MCCOMBER of Kahnawake (Series: Families of Caughnawaga) | Links Restored
This is a follow-up to:
* * * * *
2. John Ariwakenha Canadien (Jean Baptiste Raientonni) was born in 1866 in Caughnawaga and died on the 24th of November 1936. Two of his brothers (Joseph & Georges) were present at his burial in Caughnawaga.John married Marie Karakwiio French on 3 Feb 1890 in Caughnawaga (now Kahnawake Laprairie Quebec). Marie was the daughter of Pierre Kaneratiron and Elisabeth Kawennaneron Delisle. Marie was born on 18 May 1866 in Caughnawaga and died after 1911.
At the time of the 1901 census, John and his wife Marie were living in Montreal with their three daughters: 9 year old Eva, 4 year old Malvina and 2 year old Amanda. He was working as a clerk for C.P.R. (Canadian Pacific Railroad). The family was described as Iroquois origin. By 1911 John and his wife Marie were still living in Montreal with 6 children: Eva, Malvina, Amanda, Celina and Louise and son Jean.
Children from this marriage included:
+ 10 F i. Marie Amanda Irene Canadien – born 1898, Quebec.Marie married Cyprien Filiatratrault on 18 Jul 1916 in Kahnawake 11 F ii. Eva Canadien in 1891, Quebec and died after 1911. 12 F iii. Malvina Canadien, born in 1896 in Quebec and died after 1911. 13 F iv. Jean Canadien – born 1910, Quebec 14 F v. Celina Canadien – born 1903, Quebec 15 F vi. Louise Canadien – born 1905, Quebec.
Note: Here’s Eva Canadien in the 1913/14 Montreal Lovell’s Directory.
3. Joseph Atihentonko Canadien (Jean Baptiste Raientonni ) was born in 1869 in Kahnawake and died after 1911. He married Anne Katsitsioronkwas Diaume on the 12th of February 1889. Her parents were Joseph Aronhiotas and Catherine Kahnekenhawi Deer.
At the time of the 1901 census, Joseph and Anne were living in Caughnawaga with their children Louise, Jean … Joseph’s occupation is listed as Labourer followed by a scrawl that MIGHT be the word “fonderie” – foundry – but I’m not sure. In 1911 Joseph and his wife Anne were living in Caughnawaga (now called Kahnawake) with their children Louise, Charles, Ignace and Michel. Joseph was a merchant. They spoke Iroquois. Joseph married Anne (Anna) Katsitsioronkwas Diaume on 12 Feb 1889 in Kahnawake Laprairie Quebec CAN,4 daughter of Joseph Aronhiotas and Catherine Kahnekenhawi Deer.
Children from this marriage were:
+17 F i. Louise Canadien – born, 1896, Kahnawake (Louise married Stephen Osaherakenrat Delisle on 7 May 1918 in Kahnawake) 18M ii. Charles Canadien – born 1892, Kahnawake 19 M iii. Ignace Canadien – born, 1902, Kahnawake 20M iv. Michel Canadien – born, 1909, Kahnawake 21M v. Jean Canadien – born 1898, Kahnawake 22F vi. Marguerite Canadien – born 1900. Kahnawake
4. Alexandre – Louis Tonaokate/Tanahokathe Canadien1, (Jean Baptiste Raientonni ) was born in 1871 in Kahnawake and died after 1911. Alexandre married Celine/Celina Guerin on 17 Feb 1895 in Kahnawake. Celine was born in 1866 in Quebec and died after 1911.
In 1901 Louis-Alexandre and Celina were living in Caughnawaga with their two sons (5 yr. old Gedeon and 3 yr. old Albert) and a 1 year old baby daughter “Treve”. A twelve year old girl Alida Rice was also living in the household. In 1911 Alexandre was a labourer living in Caughnawaga with his wife Celina and their children: Gedepn (Gedeon), Irene and Germaine. The family spoke Iroquois. They were Roman Catholic.
Children from this marriage included:
23M i. Gedeon Canadien – born, 1895 in Kahnawake and died after 1911. 24 F ii. Irene Canadien – born, 1898 in Kahnawake and died after 1901. 25 F iii. Germaine Canadien – born, 1903 in Kahnawake and died after 1911. 26 M iv. Albert Canadien – born, 1897 in Kahnawake and died after 1911.
5. George Kasennakeron Canadien (Jean Baptiste Raientonni) was born in 1875 in Kahnawake and died after 1911. George married Mary/Marie Karonhienhawe Laforce on 21 Nov 1898 in Kahnawake. Mary/Marie was born in 1871 in QC CAN and died after 1901.
In 1911, George (a labourer) and his wife Marie were living in Caughnawaga (Kahnawake). Others in their household included adults Andre, Irene and Juliette Newton. Andre is described as an Irishman from the U.S.A. who arrived in Canada in 1901 while his wife was said to be a French-speaker and born in Quebec. Their daughter was also born in Quebec in 1906.
7. Cecilia/Cecile Tierente Canadien (Jean Baptiste Raientonni ) was born in 1874 in Kahnawake and died after 1901. Cecilia married Ignace Skahetatii Jacobs on 5 Aug 1902 in Kahnawake.
8. Jean Baptiste Lindo Tiohatekwen Canadien (Jean Baptiste Raientonni ) was born on 15 Apr 1884 in Kahnawake and died in Lachine on the 14th of August in 1919. He was buried in Caughnawaga. Jean married Anne Tekonwakennion McComber on 16 May 1910 in Kahnawake. Anne was born in 1883 in Kahnawake and died after 1911.
In 1911 Jean Baptiste (listed as John T.) and his wife Anna were living in Caughnawaga. Jean was a baker. The couple were Roman Catholics and both spoke Iroquois. Others in their household were two children: 8 year old Catherine and 6 year old Louise.
Canada Census 1881.
Canada Census 1901.
Canada Census 1911.
Canadien, Shawlee (confirmation of Native Surnames)
Le Centre de généalogie francophone d’Amérique. Groupe BMS2000
Registres: Paroisse St-Francoix-Xavier, Co. Laprairie, P.Q.