Destructive Fire 1888 / Surnames: Stacey, Gay (?)
Dedham, Mass, May 27-
The chocolate factory of C.D. Brooks was burned this morning. Loss, $80,000; insurance, $40,000.
It is now believed the explosion was caused by a fitter incautiously approaching a leak with a lamp while endeavouring to locate the leak. The damage to property is estimated at from $150,000 to $200,000. It is possible the walls of the adjoining gas meter are so shaken that a large portion will have to be taken down. The excitement in th east end of the city is great. The scene presented while the bodies of the victims were being removed was very pathetic.
Another name, that of a young man O’Brien has been added to the list of killed. His body and that of Joseph Angel are still under the debris.
The following is the lsit of fatally injured: Angus Gay, a Caughnawaga Indian, fractured skull, burned face and hands; George Fisher, frightfully burned; Tom Stacey, compound fracture of the leg and burns on the hands, face and legs.
Source: Deseret News, 1888
No comments yet.